Search The Catalog
The Library Renewal Project
A strong foundation, planning for the future.
The library has moved into a temporary location in the Heritage Building, 1505 Pebble Lake Rd., so that construction on the expansion can begin.
Library Expansion Groundbreaking Ceremony set for Wednesday, August 23 at noon. All invited to attend!
Current Project Timeline
- November 8, 2016: Fergus Falls city residents approved a half cent local option sales and use tax to partially fund expanding and remodeling the existing library building at 205 E. Hampden Ave. Pending legislative approval, construction could begin this summer and the half cent local option sales and use tax would begin to be collected in Fergus Falls January 1, 2018. The project is estimated to cost $9.8 million and will be funded partially through the half cent sales tax and partially through private fundraising. To contribute to the project, visit the Fergus Falls Public Library Foundation project page here.
- December 19, 2016: The Fergus Falls City Council approved authorizing Bentz/Thompson/Rietow (BTR) Architects to begin the Construction Documents phase of the design process for the expansion and remodel of the library. BTR will also facilitate a program planning process to assit the City in selecting a temporary location for the library during the construction process.
- May 25, 2017: During a special City Council meeting, the Council authorized moving forward with advertising for construction bids for the project, a lease for a temporary location for the library during construction, and a request for proposals for moving services to move the library into the temporary library location at 1505 Pebble Lake Road (Heritage Building) pending legislative authorization of the half cent local option sales tax. UPDATE: The local option sales tax was signed into law on May 30.
- July 11, 2017: Construction bid opening for the library was held and favorable bids were received. The Fergus Falls City Council awarded the construction contract to Comstock Construction during the January 17 Council meeting.
- August 23, 2017: Library expansion Groundbreaking Ceremony set for noon at 205 E. Hampden Ave. All are invited to attend this much anticipated event!
The move to the library's temporary location: 1505 Pebble Lake Road (Heritage Building):
The library has moved into a temporary location within the Heritage Building during construction. Families might recognize the Heritage Building as the building that also houses Early Childhood Education (ECFE) and Otter Preschool.
How long will the library be in the temporary location?
The library will remain at the Heritage Building until construction is complete. Construction on the expansion and remodel of the library building is anticipated to take approximately 18 months.
Will I still be able to borrow books, dvds, audiobooks, etc. in the temporary location?
Yes! The majority of the library's collection is available for check-out from the temporary location. The library will also continue to buy new books and other materials and add them to the collection for check-out while in the Heritage Building. You are also be able to request materials from other Viking Library System libraries and from MnLINK and check them out from the temporary location.
Will library classes, like storytime, and public computers be offered in the temporary space?
We have a small community room in the temporary space, which will allow library staff to offer some of our classes in the space. We also plan to continue to work with other community organizations to offer library programs off-site when we expect a larger audience. Public computers, printing and photocopier services, and wireless are also available.
What are the library's hours and conact information at the temporary location?
Fergus Falls Public Library (FFPL) at Heritage will be open the same hours: M-Th from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Fri from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sat from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The library's phone number (218-739-9387) and website address will remain the same.
The Design of the Expanded and Remodeled Library:
The design for the expanded and remodeled library includes a complete remodel of the existing square footage and an expansion of the library to a total of approximately 26,000 square feet. The design includes:
- An expanded children's area with an enclosed early learning activity and programming room
- Collections housed in lower shelving for accessibility
- Flexible meeting/study rooms of various sizes, including a 100 person, dividable multi-purpose community room
- Increased computer workstations, a technology instruction area and access to new technology
- Larger accessible restrooms, including a family restroom
- More lounge seating and comfortable, welcoming reading area